RE: [DML] Re: Took car out on first drive in 1 1/2 years, not without pr

RE: [DML] Re: Took car out on first drive in 1 1/2 years, not without problems, though

[Moderator Note: This message approved for comparison purposes only.  Anyone wanting to discuss Mercedes repair should do so via private email, or use one of the many fine Mercedes forums available.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]

I have been following this thread with great interest...I have a 1984 380 SL which sets a lot that is behaving the same way i.e. it will not run at all under load until the engine operating temperature reachs its normal level...it will run ok then but abit rough on acceleration. I have replaced the fuel filter, plugs, ignition wires, etc to no avail...the vacuum gauge also drops off abit...some days though it runs just fine but if you shut it off and then restart it the problem may show up. My further testing is leading me to believe the problem is with the warm-up regulator or the idle control unit. My Delorean has not had this very fustrating problem.

Mike Townsley
Vin # 17043 (not a preproduction model...but it does have twin turbos...post production)

Joseph Kuchan <josephkuchan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I haven't been following this thread, so I might be way off base here, but
> if the car is running poorly until it warms up, the issue could also be the
> converse of what David Teitelbaum suggests: The three port vacuum switch
> applies vacuum to the warm up regulator until the car is warm so if there
> was a vacuum leak on the warmup regulator side of that vacuum switch or a
> problem with the cold control pressure (under the control of the warmup
> regulator) that could also make the car run poorly until it is warmed up.
>
> What David suggests - that base timing is off - is certainly possible. Just
> want to point out that you shouldn't overlook the possibility that something
> is amiss over on the warmup regulator side of that vacuum circuit.
>
> Again, I haven't been following this thread and may be way off, so if I am
> just chalk it up to that!
>
> -Joe Kuchan

[long quote trimmed by moderator]