Re: [DML] Re: another site that explains HID vs. halogen

Re: [DML] Re: another site that explains HID vs. halogen

[MODERATOR NOTE - About time to end this thread - it's pretty far off topic and getting redundant. ]

I'm not a warmonger, however for the safety of many car owners out
there, I would say, in response to this, you are incorrect. Please
don't post conceived facts without quoting DOT regulations and
documents.

HID is indeed whiter than halogen, and with fewer current draw, can
produce the same amount of light (lumens/candela) that halogen
(technically, tungsten-halogen) can produce. This does not mean HID is
better. VHS is not better than DVD, but a laser disc is (because there
are no compression artifacts present); as well as LP's will actually
sound better than a CD but if you have terrible speakers or amp then
you won't be able to tell the difference.

As for the articles written by Daniel Stern Lighting, they were
written before companies like Sylvania made HID kits.

HID light consists of shorter wavelength light, hence its "blue"
appearance, whereas tungsten-halogen has a longer wavelength of light,
hence it's "yellow" appearance. Short wavelength light was actually
made illegal (in France I believe) because short wavelengths diffuse
quicker in air particulates, and in bad weather conditions, all you
have is different densities of atmosphere particulates (water/dust)
and short wavelength light will not illuminate the road (because it
diffuses rapidly), and thus it is far more dangerous in those
conditions.

One of the reasons we have HID in our cars?
http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/p67/144650.tif
"I think its great"??? - thats an opinion if I ever saw one.

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/p62/133369.pdf

The research info on tungsten-halogen vs HID. check out figure 2.
Also, page 9 shows that for the same spectral glare produced (which is
really bad), TH (tungsten-halogen) lamps can produce more light
(lumens/candela) than HID, effectivly meaning that for the same
ammount of glare (which is bad) produced, you have have a brighter
(more intense light source, lumens) with halogen than you can with
HID.

There is a ton of info from the D.O.T  at http://dms.dot.gov/search/
- search 8885 to see everything regarding headlamp documents and such.
I didn't take to time to read all 5116 records, however, there is some
substantial evidence against using HID. Why do we have HID then?

Congressmen think that HID is "cool" apparently, and manufacturers
like to make money on the latest fad.

I would refrain from saying that HID is better than halogen (that is
if you want to continue to debate this). It's just different, and if
you live in a location that has fog, HID lamps are extremely
dangerous. That is not an opinion. It's a fact. (see above document on
issues about spectral glare)

Don't take manufactures word on just about anything. They are ONLY
trying to sell more of whatever you happen to be reading about. (This
is why there is independent testing performed for regulatory purposes)
You can't prove HID is better than halogen, even in photographs,
because camera apertures settings are considerably different that what
an eye can see. Also, the comparisons they conduct? geee. let me
compare a mediocre halogen system with HID. Now there's a fair
evaluation!

This isn't my .02 anymore, it's federal regulations and documentation.
Nathan