Re: [DML] Re: HID Lights

turbodelorean wrote:

> Yes I have looked at HID coming at me on the road and I also noted
> that I own a S2000 which has HID lighting. Yes it annoys some people
> on the road because they think you have your brights on all the time
[...]

And why shouldn't that be considered annoying (at best)?

> but only people who do not know that it is how the low beam looks
> think that.

So as long as I know it's your low beams, being blinded is somehow less annoying?

> If HID's were not as great as Halogen, then why are almost
> all automakers putting them on their cars??

I'm surprised this hasn't been bought up, yet.  They do it because old-school auto regulations limited the wattage of your headlights, not the actual light output.  The intent is to maintain safe amounts of light, but HID is a means of circumventing that intent, since it offers considerably more lumens per Watt than prior technologies.

I'm sure regulations have been updated to accomodate HID and other technologies, but I've not paid attention to the issue lately.  Properly executed, HID is probably a superior technology.  It's certainly more efficient, and this will be more appealing once EVs become a little more mainstream, for example.

I do see plenty of vehicles on the road now with HID lighting, and most of them don't seem to be a problem, but there are also plenty of vehicles that'll blind you with their lighting.  As DeLorean drivers (i.e. down low), we tend to get "blasted" that much more.

-Owen