[DML] Re: Proto 1 Looking for flap sander

[DML] Re: Proto 1 Looking for flap sander

Hi Tony!

Nice to hear from you.

Before you sand:  Thinking back to my days at DMC when our transport
guys were schlepping your Proto all over the country, three things
come to mind.

First of all, the wheel and grit used in production and in the
dealerships was not finalized until just before production, and long
after Proto 1 got the treatment.  I just remember we kept seeing
paperwork related to all these exotic grinding gizmos.  It became
quite the issue. (Hey, list, jump in on this one if you have some
history here.  Never thought to write all this down...)

Second, regraining the car actually produces a slightly different
grain than factory, and you can easily see it in an A/B comparison
with a pristine vehicle if you know what it looks like.  A side-by-
side comparison may give you some clues as to how the Proto was
done.

Third, and I may be preaching to the choir, but regraining has a few
less-than-obvious caveats.

So, what do we do?  Call the DMC road show guys, if anybody knows
them.

Failing that, I would suggest a few things:

Research: start with an A/B/C comparison.  Look at the skin as you
would a choice piece of mahogony. If you have access to an untouched
original (Don Steger has a pretty good one for this.) and one that
has been done by hand with a pad, and the Proto of course, look
closely at their finishes.  On the factory original, there is
actually quite a bit of smooth SS between the individual channels
where the grit on the original wheel cut, and the overall
brightness/reflectivity has a very distinctive character to it.

Also, you can clearly see the entry and exit points of each grain of
grit, and in fact they make an attractive pattern, like layered
blonde hair, that quickly identifies an original finish.  Dense
graining and an overrun set of entry patterns is a sign of
refinishing with a wheel.  Sometimes this was done at QAC.  (Do we
have any QAC alums on this list?)  The luminosity is noticeably
different at a distance.

Now look at the hand-rubbed car.  Very dense grain, and no entry
points.  Depending on the grit of the blending pad (I use 3M wood
finishing pads with fairly agressive grit for extra shine.) the
abrasion begins to create grain in the original clear areas between
the factory channels; it's much more dense.  Compared to a factory
car, the rubbed car is brighter and looks "sunnier" in subdued
light.  The factory finish, on the other hand, has a much softer,
delicate sheen, an almost satin quality IMO.  (I bought my car with
roof scratches, and had no choice but to refinish. I miss my original
finish to say the least.)

Why all this looking?  You may be able to gain clues as to how the
Proto was grained, and how the road crew maintained the finish.  It
wasn't a secret, but they were so steeped in incredible detail when
they dressed this thing up, nobody really knew how they did it.
Besides, you couldn't really ask them because they were always on the
road!

Okay, so now you've determined how the finish came to be on your
Proto as it sits in your garage.  Now for the part where I may be
preaching to the choir.  (Press Fast Forward at your convenience.)

Please don't rub the car down in little sections.  In broad daylight,
you won't notice the difference.  But at twilight, in fog, in a
partially lit garage, those patches will show up like darned socks.
(How many know what "darn" means here?  Am I that stinkin' old?) I
have spent hours on mine and several other peoples cars getting rid
of those nasty square patches.  It takes forever.  (Okay, you can
hit "Play" again.)

I can tell you this much--that finish was flawless like jewelry when
you saw it.  Stop you dead in your tracks.

It's good to know someone is taking so much time with this wonderful
piece of history.  Imagine, being twenty-something, seeing that thing
in the flesh when all the world knew was vinyl hardtops and spoke
wheelcovers...

Cya, list!

--Ray
10693 and Remembering