[DML] Re: Buying a DeLorean over a long-distance.

[DML] Re: Buying a DeLorean over a long-distance.

I am going to refer you to Hemmings Motor News. In the section
Appraisel Services you will find many appraisers that will not only
examine the car for you, they will handle the transaction including
the money, the paperwork, and the transportation. What most people
would do is to hire them for the initial inspection and then to close
the deal they would travel themselves. Generally it is not necessary
to "import" a Delorean. There are plenty just about all over the
country. Spend a little more and then you won't have to pay for the
appraiser and the transportation. Take your time and you will find one
a lot closer to home. There have been many instances of where someone
bought a car within minuets of their house, never knowing or seeing
the car before. You can also use an Attorney to hold the money and the
title. The "best" way to do it is to actually be there with someone
knowledgable about Deloreans in particular. Get a hold of the local
club and see if any members can help you. Have the owner give you the
service records and call the vendor he used to see what was done to
the car. If it was seen by them recently they can also give you some
indication of it's condition.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ComposerZelgadis@xxxx wrote:

> Like the subject title implies, how does one go about on purchasing
a DeLorean over a long distance, when neither the buyer nor seller
have the capability of meeting face to face?

> I've been corresponding with a DeLorean owner who's interested in
selling.  I've had a mechanic from the DML--a real nice guy, too--have
a look at her, and says the car is good for all practical purposes.
The current owner of this car and I are ready to deal, but not
entirely sure as to how to go about on doing it.  We need some way of
doing so that would ensure security for both of us.  I was a bit
curious as to how other people, particularly on the DML, have gone
about on doing this.  As far as I can tell, the current owner is also
a nice guy.  Honest, too.  He even went so far as to say the same
about me.  Still, when you're dealing with a lot of money, *everyone*
feels better when there's security involved, myself included.  So, DML
collective, what say you?