[DML] Re: delorean fuel (David T)

No, "base timing" simply means the point in engine rotation at which
spark occurs without any additional advance enhancements -- in our
case the orientation of the distributor when you tighten it down.
That's why you set it at idle with the vacuum advance diaphragm
disconnected (unnecessary on a DeLo with proper functioning cutoff
solenoid). Only impacts starting insofar as too much initial advance
makes an engine harder to start.

And spark advance does not vary cylinder to cylinder. If the rotor is
moved ahead 10 or 20 degrees, EVERY cylinder will receive its spark 10
or 20 degrees sooner. Our engines are indeed odd fire, but that has
nothing whatsoever to do with spark advance -- the whole firing
sequence is simply shifted. Distributor itself, with its attendant
advance mechanisms, couldn't care less about odd vs even fire, or even
the firing order. That's determined by the cap (and wire routing
thereafter). Rotor button itself simply spins.

Base ignition time for all other North American PRV's is 10 degrees
BTDC (same for European Volvo and normally aspirated Renault models
BTW). Only DMC moved it that much closer to the bottom (and only DMC
removed one of the counterweight springs from an otherwise stock Bosch
distributor). Overall advance curve ends up flatter than other PRV's.
Of course it's there (engine couldn't rev up otherwise) -- it's just
not as aggressive.

BTW: there's a lot of controversy about whether the optimum point of
igntion is threshhold of detonation, or somewhere closer to TDC (can I
hear an "Amen" Martin?). My position, based on Ford's experience with
spark advance on the 460 throughout the 1970's, is that the optimum
point is NOT on the verge of detonation. At least not on a large bore
engine spinning 600-2500 RPM (moving base ignition time closer to
bottom not only lowered overall power, but required convoluted advance
mechanisms, such as double sided vacuum diaphragms, to ensure
detonation did not occur at full throttle). By 1978 -- last year of
passenger auto use -- base time had gone from 10 degrees BTDC to 16.
Impetus was emissions, not fuel economy.

Bill Robertson