[DML] RE: Delorean Fuel

WOW! I really lit a fire with this topic didn't I.  Actually I
appreciate the feedback about different fuels.  Here is a little bit
of history with my car.  When I first bought it about six months
ago, the owner told me that he only used 91 octane and he had it for
12 years.  It seemed to be running fine at that point, no pings or
knocks it ran very smooth, only gas mileage was pretty bad I
averaged about 13 mpg at first.  I thought that was a little odd.
When it came time for filling up I decided to try 87 first and that
is when all heck broke loose.  I all of a sudden had starting
problems, it stalled, gas mileage went from the 13 to 8 mpg, and it
ran very rough.  Obviously something was very wrong.  I went back to
the 91, but I guess that the damage had already been done.  It
wasn't burning all of the fuel in the chambers and I had horrible
emissions.  It's a good thing I didn't need to get it smogged any
time soon.  I even had unburned gasoline coming out the exhaust
pipes.  Really bad.  You might say that was just condensation and I
thought that at first to but I actually caught some  in a cup while
I was running the engine to figure out what was wrong and it was gas!

I immediately took it to a mechanic and found out what the problem
was.  The other owner had never used any sort of fuel system
treatments or cleaners at all.  Because he ran 91 octane the engine
got used to running with that fuel and the deposits that had built
up over time.  He had just over 60k miles on it when I bought it.
So when I put in the 87 the engine basically didn't know what to do
and it basically pushed through a bunch of carbon and other gunk
that was fowling up the fuel injection and spark.  I let them do a
full decarb on the engine and then I took it home and did a full
fuel system cleanout.  Remember my post about that fuel filter?
Cleaned out the injectors, manifold, air induction, and now she
purrs, and my MPG went up from 8 to 24.  Nice increase.  However, I
have taken to using 91 Cheveron with Techron.  I probably could try
87 again, but I'm a little wary.

Japheth VIN: 1223