Re: [DML] Re: Delorean Fuel

Hello Patrick

> This debate is going to have many different preferences, like what oil to
> use (10W30) :) but
> if you are going to store your car for the winter or not drive it much,
> put in a higher
> octane.  91 breaks down slower than say the 87 would sitting in the tank.
Sorry, but its not true. They break down at the same rate.
The oil is a completly different subject.. there are preferences, different
oil for different temperatures, but with fuel the engine is designed for a
specific 'grade'.

> Also, as I recall,
> in the '81 owners manual all of the readings for gas mileage, performance,
> etc and all of
> those specs say that the car was tested using 91 octane fuel.
It was mentioned that it is recommended to use 91 octane fuel, BUT that was
for Europe. We use different method for determining the octane rating. 91 in
Europe is the same as 87 in the US.
The owners manual that I have states clearly:
Your DeLorean is designed to operate at factory specifications at UNLEADED
GASOLINE only of 87 anti-knock index (R+M)/2 (91 research octane number).
If you look at the pump at a gas station there is a formula right under the
octane rating and it is (R+M)/2 in the US.
The DeLorean was designed for 87.

Hope this helps

Tom Niemczewski
jamesik@xxxxx