Re: [DML] Re: DCS 2006

This message that appeared on the DML and DMC forum is a bit premature  since
I am still negotiating the contract for Pheasant run.
The basic story is the Vette people had the last weekend of the month
scheduled but Pheasant run leased it out to a jewelry convention prior to them
signing the contract,  Ed from the Bloomington show asked if we could do a  joint
show and we are looking at it.
There are advantages and disadvantages but bottom line is it looks like I
get more room in a newer facility so we are considering it very carefully.

Below is Bobs message

>In a message dated 1/16/2005 10:56:29 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
>BobB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>As many  of you know,  I would love to see some DeLoreans kick the ass
>of  their nemesis the corvette at DCS 2006.

>We were originally planning to  do this by competing against the vettes
>on there own slalom course.   However, the latest info is that they
>don't allow ANY other brand or type  of car on this course.

>(Gee, a reflection of the ego - snob appeal of  this group?)

Personally I do not care to go this direction.  We have been working  very
well with the vette people so far and it is far from a done deal.   Negatives do
generate negatives so lets work to make this a good joint effort if  it does.
 Personally I  would like to see the Bloomington show as it  is a good size
event and the two combined can be a real killer event for  both.
----------------------------------
>Worse, yet,  it appears the corvette group which will be  some 10,000
>people including vendors and visitors will be taking away any  spare
>parking places where we could have set up our own slalom  course.
 ---------------------------
We are going to use the new convention center across the street that is
brand new and we will have plenty of space that is paved and grass instead of
gravel.  I still plan a slalom or test your skills course nothing changed  there.

 We have not talked to the Corvette people on this since we have our  own
space. Privately we discussed this but I do not think anyone including  myself
has talked to the Vette people on it.  We may at a later date.

If Bob can spearhead a run to route 66 track or Byron raceway we can do  that
and I will be glad to put him in charge.

The Vette people I learned cannot allow others on the track for  insurance.
Rich and Dave were informed of this on the meeting that I was  snowed out of.

>I am not  happy about this and fear will be overwelmed by  the vette
>people and traffic.  We won't even get the convention  center until
>Friday PM because the vette people are having their tech  session in OUR
>convention center that AM.   IT isn't enough they  get the huge
>convention center where were supposed to be,  Now they  are taking over
>the smaller one.
--------------------------------

We will begin activities like every other show on Friday this time at 3
instead of the usual 4 PM and this is where we will be doing our car line up by
vin. We are being given the convention center on Friday as compensation for the
inconvenience as I am not paying for this day's rental.  That is something
we normally could not afford.
The facility will be ready for us when we need it as we have the driving
tour in the morning.
-----------------------

>What I really need to know is how many of you are interested in  a
>slalom race course and would it be worth it change the date of DCS 2006
>by a week or so, so we would have room for such an  event?
----------------------

There is no change of date it will be canceled before I will change  it.
----------------------
>Personally,  this slalom event was going to be the big think  for me at
>DCS,  other than the car show.  THere are so many  members who are
>really making their Ds into performance handling machines  and I want
>them to be able to show the rest the D owners and the car  community
>that this car would really have turned into a vette killer.

----------------------

Again Bob you are welcome to arrange a session at the race track as we will
also have a Slalom.  the Slalom will emphasize the handling and not speed  as
to keep from having any mishaps  We will do something to compare stock  and
aftermarket suspensions so maybe we can see the difference for real instead  of
just hearing about it. TBD

I am still working on the show so give it a chance
We have added a whole lot of new stuff to the show including working out
details to see the Prototype 1 D I talked to the new owner and he is committed
to getting the car to the show and again this is a TBD and is a bit premature
to  go into details.

I appreciate the concerns Bob Has but as I have talked to him since this
post every show has concerns and if you let the details get in the way of the
Global show you will not have a show.  Bob will be working on the Slalom  course
and other events at the show with the help of the Chicago group.

I appreciate Bob and all he has done for me over the years and yes we are
good friends and his help is appreciated.  We also love to debate and have
different ideas from time to time and this today was one of them but all is  well.
This keeps the checks and balances there so thanks Bob for your  input.

The announcement that we are doing a show with the vette people is still a
bit premature but I think it will happen and I look forward to bringing these
two groups together.
It is up to us to show them how much class and good will we represent as
this will be our time to shine so to speak

I announced this to the DCO group this weekend and they liked what they
heard.

One nice thing is that for our elder or needy members we will have a  shuttle
or golf carts to get our senior owners around the show and to the hotel.
This is still being worked on but looks to be workable.

I will update you when something real on the show happens.

Rich suggested that we set up some of vendors on Friday
I have no problem with this and I will leave it up to the vendors.
The room will be there Friday so vendors look to be able to set up.

Ken
DeLorean Car Show Inc.

ps Greg can you post this on the DMC forum thanks