RE: [DML] Re: PRV Oil/Camshaft Problems

 Bill,

You said:

"For some reason DeLorean owners seem to be the only ones keeping the
camshaft rumor alive -- making lemonade from an engine they aren't terribly
thrilled to have in back of their cars to begin with?"
======================================================================================================================================================================================Bill, check out the following concerning this subject from non-DeLorean
sources.

>From The Volvo Owner's Resource Re: 90 760 6cyl[ALL/1998] posted by Paul S.
on Sunday, 28 December 1997

"The worst part and what gained the hatred for this motor is the dreaded
B27F - and in particular the head oiling and soft cam shafts - a recipe for
disaster. To make maters worse the bloody French PR team (sorry :-0 ), with
Volvo along for the ride, did almost exactly the same thing on the early
B28F. There is even a service bulletin on cleaning the head and oil
passages."

>From Volvobertone.com/
"I read that the original v6s had "soft cams' and a sorry internal
lubrication system, which almost always led to premature death. Did they
ever improve on that design and if so, what model/year Volvos were they used
in and would they swap into a 79 262C?"

>From Mälardalens Studentkåreneral - info about camshafts "Some old
Volvo-camshafts are not so well done, they easily run down and have
lubrication problems, the rear end of the camshaft has a oil-outlet that is
wrong drilled."

========================================================================================================================================================================================
As you are well aware lots of DeLorean hopeful's and new owners view this
list. Weather we talk soft cams or lubrication problems it all boils down to
premature failure of B-28F camshafts or simply; engine failure. If a
prospective purchaser is daunted by potential frame rust problems, high
insurance rates or the cost of extensive restoration or repairs that is
understandable. They should not however, be turned away because of rumors
concerning early engine failure.

The facts concerning pre-mature camshaft failure is proven in statistics.
Cam failure in pre 1981 PRV-6 equipped vehicles is common but virtually
non-existent for post 1981 DeLorean and succeeding PRV's.

DMC Joe