[DML] Re: Opinions on this car?

Worse than what appears to be easily correctable problems is the
SALVAGE TITLE!!!!! In many States this means you CANNOT ever register
the car and drive it on a public street. In some States you can get it
registered but it involves a lot of paperwork and some kind of through
inspection. Before you think of buying this particular car you should
check it's history as to why it is a salvage title and then, if you
still think you want it, see what it will take to get the car
registered in your State if possible at all. As for the problems, the
transmission may be a linkage problem, possibly a frozen pivot on the
trans. (It could also be a lot more serious, you won't know until you
disconnect the linkage.) The taillights are fairly common as is the
heater motor. Expect many other "little" things that aren't even
mentioned. To buy this car either the owner must be fairly handy on
cars or have a good mechanic nearby and a lot of disposable income.
Not long ago there was a salvage Delorean from a flood. I don't know
if this is the same one but it could be. It would account for the
salvage title, the trans problem and the electrical problems. There is
a reason that there are now salvage titles. This is a RED FLAG that at
some point in the car's history it was totaled and given up for dead.
You may be buying nothing more than a pile of parts that happens to
LOOK like a car! A parts car is worth around $3-4,000 if it is mostly
intact.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757