From: content22207 [mailto:brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 8:30 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Re: PRV Oil/Camshaft Problems

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement:

- I have two notebooks of Volvo B27-B28 factory literature spanning
1979-1985, none of which contains a single word about modified oil
passages or different camshaft materials.
- The only Volvo TSB dealing with PRV camshaft wear (#21112 4/84)
addresses the problem in terms lighter oil viscosity specification,
retroactive to the beginning of engine use, not enlarging oil passages
or replacing early camshafts with later models.
- The oil passage/camshaft rumor periodically rears it head in BBS's
such as swedishbricks.com and brickboard.com, only to be discredited
by Volvo owners themselves. Note that some of these owners have
enlarged oil return passages of their own volition (others claim that
lighter oil alone solves the problem).

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe@xxxx> wrote:
>
>  Nathan,
>
> I respectfully disagree.
>
> In my 30 years of DeLorean consulting and servicing this is the one
subject
> I've had to repeat over and over.
> Once again, here are the facts.
>
> The valve train oiling problems and early camshaft failure are
related to
> the pre 1981 version of the PRV-6. The majority of these engines were in
> Volvo 260 GLE's. It was not uncommon for these pre 81 Volvo's to start
> chattering at around 40-50k miles with complete valve/cam failure at
around
> 80-90k miles. As these failures mounted the engineers at the engine
> manufacturing plant initiated a modification that enlarged the oil
passages
> and specified a harder camshaft. This modification completely
eliminated the
> earlier problems. This is one of the reasons why the DeLorean gained a
> negative opinion among mechanics when the DeLorean was first introduced.
>
> Your experience with cam chain problems is extremely rare. As a
matter of
> fact it is the first time I have ever heard of this problem in a
DeLorean
> engine.
>
> DMC Joe

Ford
> Triton V8 and V10 are also very similar engines to our squirrelly little
> PRV-6, which was initially slated by P,R,V to be a V8, but gas
shortages at
> that time changed their mind. While the Triton engines have more
> displacement and more cylinders and more electronics, however the
guts (as
> far as I can tell from visiting junkyards) look to be the same.
>
> Also, (I don't know if this has been mentioned before) another good
thing to
> do if you're having problems keeping antifreeze in the system, is
install
> spring clamps (instead of those screw clamps) on the engine coolant
tubes
> right under the intake manifold. (there are two IIRC) If (when you
take your
> engine apart) there is antifreeze on the top of your engine block,
(and it
> happens to make a mess when it gets there) run to the junkyard and
grab some
> spring clamps off a triton engine (which just so happens to have most
> everything in the same spot, and the same size, and happens to be a
far more
> common
> engine) and it will fix the leaking antifreeze.
>
> Also, (Boy.. i'm on a roll here) another place to get engine parts,
etc...
> is www.ipdusa.com and www.swedishparts.net. IPD is a tad expensive,
but good
> stuff, and www.swedishparts.net had dirt cheap (OEM and others)