[DML] Re: Piston rings + sleeves

The PRV IS "A good little motor". It's problem in a Delorean is that
it can't tolerate being overheated and with the Delorean's cooling
system being so large it can fail especailly if it is not taken care
of considering it's age. My advice is still to do a compression test,
a leak-down test, and measure the oil consumption. If you have an oil
leak, fix it. At the most you probably only need a "top job" if even
that. If the engine wasn't overheated all you probably need is a
master water pump kit, a complete tune-up, and have the fuel injectors
cleaned and tested. If it was overheated, unless it was REALLY COOKED,
replacing the head gaskets and milling the heads flat is all you
should need. The core of the engine, the short block, is pretty
bulletproof as evidenced by the many Deloreans with turbos on them and
it's history. You hear very few engine (mechanical) problems. Most
engine problems seem to be related either to overheating, neglect,
fuel system, or just plain old worn out tune-up type parts. You seem
to have already made up your mind to tear it all apart though. If you
still intend to then you need some special tools to do it "right".
david Teitelbaum
vin 10757