RE: [DML] Re: Non Start Problem - Transmission Related?

RE: [DML] Re: Non Start Problem - Transmission Related?

I had the same problems as you Shannon. I would have to shake the shifter while in neutral or park sometimes to get it to start. I never got round to solving that problem, it seemed to go away by itself!
Then however, I had another problem where the car would not start, or even crank, and shaking the shifter would not work. I eventually narrowed it down to the starter solenoid after checking relays, fuses, wiring etc. I took it out, dismantled it and automatically recoqnised it was fried.

Thomas
Vin 4087 (now a manual, had enough of autos)

DMC Joe <dmcjoe@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Shannon,

It looks like I was writing this response while David sent his reply, so I
will just add this information to his.

Fuse #13 fuse has no effect on the motor starter circuit. The only item in
the auto transmission electrical circuit that will prevent the starter
circuit from activating is the neutral safety switch. I know of no problems
with this switch but you could have a connection problem or a defective
start inhibit relay. Considering that you are having other transmission
problems you might want to insure that your transmission electrical harness
is not damaged and that all connections are secure. If the harness looks OK
proceed to the following.

Here is the first test you can perform when you have the "no start"
condition.

You will need an electrical continuity checker or test device with a
continuity test function. Remove the START INHIBIT RELAY 3/7/4 part #106269
(relay group/back row 2nd from left next to the red relay). Locate blade #86
on the bottom of the relay, locate the corresponding blade receptacle at the
relay socket. Check for continuity between the socket connector and ground.
While you are there insure that the socket connector is secure and has not
been dislodged. If there in no continuity (no ground) the relay will not
activate and the engine will not start. While you are inspecting the relay
socket insure that all of the connector blades are secure and making contact
with the relay blades.

Here is additional reference information.
Technical Information Manual: P-246
Workshop Manual M:02:04, M:07:02
Parts Manual 3/7/0, 3/7/4, 4/5/6
Service Bulletin ST-16-10/81