Re: [DML] More thoughts on rust

Most people drive their Hondas or Toyotas or whatever every day car
they have and the thought of salt doesnt even cross the mind- the
frame and underbody rots (quarters rot even faster), the car is either
sold to someone else or thrown away. Most DeLorean owners plan on
having their car for a while, and don't want to battle with frame
rust; the less time on the winter roads-the longer the frame will be
expected to last. You already know from the other members that the
steel isn't protected that great. If you have frame problems to begin
with and then take it out on the salty roads, you will see it rot away
before your eyes like mine did. Find a foolproof way to protect the
frame and you are all set. POR-15 works, but I am not sure of how well
in the long run (it's been applied 1 year ago). I've also used "Rust
bullet" on a few of my other classics, but again; I have no idea how
well it will be 10-20 years from now- best you can do is go
all out and get the SS frame. Otherwise if your frame looks good and
you are confident that the salt isn't getting to the metal, keep
on going! Drive safe -----Dani B #5003

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mike.griese@xxxx wrote:

> Mike - there is a difference in the DeLorean frame compared to other
> cars.  The DeLorean frame is epoxy-coated mild steel.  This means
that
> the steel itself has no anti-corrosive properties in it's molecular
> structure, like stainless steel does.  Other manufacturers use
several
> different coatings to protect their sheet metal from corrosion that
> DeLorean omitted.  All of the corrosion protection is supposed to
> be provided by the epoxy coating.  This is a nice idea, but in
practice,
> it just didn't work all that well.  The problem is that the epoxy
> can become damaged through frame flexure, stone chips, curb
> scuffs, etc.  Once there is an opening, moisture can collect between
> the coating and the mild steel frame.  This means rust - and lots
of
> it.  You won't be able to see it until the epoxy flakes off.
>

> --
> Mike
>

> -------------- Original message from "smileksr" <michaelbarth@xxxx>:

[moderator snip]