[DML] Re: Fans go on with ignition key...

[DML] Re: Fans go on with ignition key...

Even when you wire up the cooling fans to "run all the time" you are
in no danger of running the motor too cold. The reason is the
thermostat in the pump housing. If it senses that the motor isn't warm
enough it will close and not send coolant to the radiator. The fans
will run anyway to pull air over the condensor coil for the A/C. This
isn't really necessary if the car is moving but as you see from
several responses it seems to be a common modifacation. The circuit
was not really designed for 100% duty cycle. By installaling the
Fanzilla you remove most of the complaints from the cycling like
electrical surges. It sequences the on-off of the fans so they both
don't start and stop at the same time. It also gives you back the
functionality of the Fan Fail Light so you will know if there is a
problem with one of the fans.
  As for your Escort, the gauge is not what controls the fans. There
is a separate sensor in the radiator for the fans. More likely you
have a stuck relay anyway. The gauge is probably fine, it is just
reading low because the fans run all the time. I am sure if you try a
Ford dealer they can order what you need if they don't have it in
stock. Many parts are "Dealer Only" meaning you have to go to the
dealer to get them, they are not found "aftermarket" like in Autozone.
BTW do you have a thermostat in it? If you do maybe it's stuck open.
Some people take them out thinking (during the summer) the motor will
run cooler without it. It should be left in all year. And no, there is
no such thing as a summer thermostat and a winter thermostat.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, George DeLorean