Re: [DML] What parts are (nearly) impossible to get

Re: [DML] What parts are (nearly) impossible to get

I priced out fenders and the hood
My background is stamping and injection molding so doing parts like these are something I do regularly

A tool for the hood in production quality could cost over $250K and the fenders about $150

However you can make soft prototype tooling in a one stage die and make approx 100 parts off it before it was scrap. The tool would be between $10K and 15K and the parts would need some secondaries.  I have quoted this already.

Part cost was reasonable (I'll keep that number to myself)
but there is simply no market.

All body panels can be purchased at less than they were a decade ago.

Again if someone bought out my supply of body panels I might have a different opinion but they just don't move.

Houston has a great selection of most of the panels, more than we will ever consume and there are enough used panels on the market for those that don't plus most dented ones can be repaired.

The other vendors have their inventories as well
Both Rob and Don have numerous body panels.

Houston I believe is in the process of making one of the torsion bars and the other one is in stock

We sold three of the hard to get torsion bars this summer so they are not impossible to get.

Hope this answers your question.

I make the crumple zones that all the mfgs supply.
So I believe I have a history even in the DeLorean Community on making parts, and not parts that are easy to make for a quick buck.  I sit on these parts as I make 24 at a time for up to three years before they move so the cost of money also comes into play not only on these but other parts.

That is the reason other parts are not made
Would you do a part knowing you have to invest 15-20K and then sit on it for a few years to make a couple thousand.

Its fortunate for me I can and do enjoy it so you all can have crumple zones when you need them.

That my 2 cents worth hope your questions are answered and I am sure this will continue the thread.  This is a good DeLorean Discussion.

Ken
DeLorean Car Show Inc
DeLoran Car Show Magazine