Re: Replace fuse block with circuit breakers?

Re: Replace fuse block with circuit breakers?

If you are planning to replace the fuses with circuit breakers you
must calculate the correct size breaker to replace the fuse which
involves considering the current carrying capacity of the wiring, the
size and type of load, and whether it is an intermittant load or a
continuos load. You will need the engineering data from the
manufacturer of the circuit breakers to do this. In some cases the
size of the fuse was dictated by the wire size and in some cases it
was sized to protect the load. You also have to figure worst-case on
some loads. Don't forget to calculate in the ambient temperature
because circuit breakers are much more sensitive to ambient than
fuses. For instance on most American cars headlights and wipers ALWAYS
are protected by circuit breakers. The logic here is that even with a
short circuit the power would recycle so you would still have some
functionality of the lights or wipers. You must also consider multiple
failure modes and backfeeds. This can get complicated even for an
Electrical Engineer. My point is that this is not as simple a project
as it might appear. A properly maintained and functioning fuseblock
with fuses is not so bad.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757