Re: [DML] Re: under sealed at dmc?

In a message dated 1/22/04 9:48:37 AM Central Standard Time,
stuartalexander@xxxx writes:
I believe only the '83 models exported to the east coast have black
underseal. Those that went to the west (with similar production
dates) don't seem to have it. This implies that it was done in the
US and not in NI.

Stuart

vin 16686 (with black underseal)
My car is an early '82 and is undersealed. In fact, the reason for the
sealing is found in stainless steel illusion, where it says that the cars sitting
in the dock (there were 435) in Long Beach, CA had been sitting for quite a
while exposed to the salt air, which was causing corrosion problems. the book
claims that the epoxied frames were unaffected, but other sources such as Rob
Grady have maintained that it did indeed cause frame problems, and the cars were
undercoated before delivery to dealers for extra protection.

ironically, the black undercoating is a terrible problem. it is rubbery and
allows moisture to get between it and the expoxied frame. it actually
accelerates rust problems instead of preventing them, as my car has experienced. be
especially wary of buying a later car with black undercoating.

oh yes, another thing. the undercoating got all over all of the fasteners on
the bottom end of the car such as the fuel tank plate bolts. tried to remove
one once and it broke right off due to moisture under the sealant corroding
the bolt. not fun.

Andy