Continued: Cannot remove the front panel

Continued: Cannot remove the front panel

My shift boot panel is held in place by two exposed sheet metal screws
(do not know if they are original or added by PO), a couple of hidden
studs that fit into speed retainers in the metal brackets pop riveted
to the console sides, and the lip under the A/C panel. Those studs do
not fit tightly at all -- as soon as I remove the screws and A/C
panel, my shift boot panel lifts straight out.

Is it possible your studs still fit tightly? If so, a firm tug upward
should pop them out of the retainers.

Is it possible a PO glued your shift boot panel down? The only
surfaces to glue to are the brackets pop riveted to the console sides.
Be careful pulling against them because the console itself is only
made of cardboard.

Unfortunately there is no way to remove the console with the shift
boot panel in place -- 4 of its 6 mounting nuts are underneath.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ttanaka504@xxxx wrote:
>

> Thank you very much for advice, and I am sorry that I did not
explain
> enough
> I did Disconnect negative battery cable, remove A/C panel off and
remove
> shift knob.
> As manual wrote down. I can raise the panel, but I cannot pull it out.
> The panel move just little but it stock...Can I use plastic hummer
to smash
> off?
> Or Can I use heat gun to the panel? Does anybody have same
experience with me?