Re: New De Lorean owner/battery question

Re: New De Lorean owner/battery question

Jason - The "Check Battery" light suggests a problem with the
alternator (typically). The battery that you bought should be fine
if the charging system is functioning properly. What I have found is
that the alternator can be producing the correct voltage, and yet be
producing little or no amperage. This condition causes that light to
come on. I would recommend removing the alternator and having it
bench-tested, as well as generally checked out. If you have the
Ducellier version of the alternator, it is essentially non-
rebuildable (according to an alternator rebuild shop), and should be
replaced with something better. The various vendors have options for
you, from NOS replacement alternators to upgraded units of different
flavors. I personally installed a Delco 108 amp alternator, which
required a small amount of modification to the attachments. Other
options require no modifications at all.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248 (Winged1)
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com