DeLorean speedometers: A new approach

My experience with automobiles has shown me that the speedometer
normally taps into the transmission via a cable with a plastic gear.

The transmission is always throwing around lubricant inside,
lubricating the gear. Speedometer failure is fairly rare in other
cars.

On the casing of the DeLorean manual transmission I noticed
a "blanking plug" that looked like a point where your typical
speedometer cable would go. For those of you familiar with the other
applications of the DeLorean transmission, is that what this is for?

Did other vehicles tap the transmission for the speedometer?
Isn't running a speeometer cable through the frame feasible?
What are the automatic transmissions like? Do they have a tie-in
point for a speedometer cable?

I'm no concours competitor but I try to keep my car stock when I can.
I realize this is a big departure from that. I'm hoping DMCH's new
angle drive is more reliable. If not, this is a change I would
consider making if possible.

I look forward to your comments.

Rich A.