Re: Speedometer problems

The only way to tell if your angle drive assembly is intact is to
visually inspect it (welcome to the world of automotive maintenance in
the winter -- cold, isn't it?). Take the wheel and drive disc off,
undo the lower speedo cable, and rotate the spindle cable manually. If
the lower cable receiver spins, the unit is OK.

The angle drive housing is not weathertight. If water has gotten
inside and frozen, it is possible your wheel disc or spindle cable are
damaged (weaker components than the gears themselves).

If you are not already familiar with the RPM-MPH cross reference
chart, now is an ideal time:

http://www.dmcnews.com/Resource/rpm2mph.html

I used this info to make a customized chart -- I found it easier to
read rotated 90 degrees (MPH vertical and the Gears horizontal). I
also simplified it to include only the RPM's I normally experience,
which allowed a larger font. Here's a neat trick: if you tape the
chart to the instrument cluster lens (covering your non-functioning
speedo), illumination will show right through, making it readable
after dark. That's where you're used to looking for speed info anyway.
Send me your eMail address (brobertson(at)carolina.net) and I'll
return a copy of my chart (WordPerfect format). It is square, not
rectangular.

Bill Robertson