Re: [DML] Re: Refurbished Fascias

Hi Sonny,

- I did these fascias with a base coat/clear coat process, so the finish is glossy. I used the paint specs that Ken Koncelik posted to the list a few months back...so the color is a spot on match for the original...it just has a glossy finish to it.

- The rears will go via UPS...I had some custom boxes made that are big enough to safely ship the rears, but just small enough to fit inside UPS's maximum non-freight dimensions

- Shipping is a flat $50...UPS wants roughly $35 to ship them in the continental US, and the other $15 is for the cost of the boxes.

- For $300 there is no warranty...these are used, refurbished fascias. They are not new ones, and in some cases this is more obvious than in others. I've made every attempt to make these appear as good as they ever will, but they do have flaws in them. Nothing that's visible from 3+ feet away.

- I took extra care to prevent these fascias from peeling. I've had mine on my car for over a year, and they still look as good as the day Ken and I redid them. (pics from that day are posted in the DML photo gallery page) The peeling you've seen on cars for sale, was most likely due to the factory paint process which involved many, (20+ sometimes!) layers. The layers were often not applied before the previous ones were dry, so they tend to stick to themselves more than to the surface of the fascia. This causes bubbling, and eventually, the old paint cracks and peels. Painting over the top of this is not a very good idea, so the fascias I have were carefully stripped of any bubbling/cracked/peeling sections, then sanded with 80 grit, 220 grit, then wet sanded with 600 grit and finally 1500 grit paper, and primed so as to prevent this from ever reoccurring.

- The eyebrow effect on the front of a lot of these old fascias has been corrected by installing a 3/8" aluminium alloy bar under the top portion. We installed these on all the fascias...not just the ones that needed it, so you can be assured that these will never warp again there.

I have every hope that these fascias will last a good long time. I'm conservatively estimating that you should be able to get a good 10-15 maybe even 20 years out of these. More if your car is stored properly and driven sensibly.

I'm sure Ken can attest to the durability and quality of this paint, as he has been to my house and seen my work.

Let me know if you have any other concerns before you make a decision, and I will be happy to address them.

Thanks,
Josh

Sonny V wrote:

Josh -

Are you doing the fascias in matte or gloss finishes?
How do you ship them? I understand that the rears will
not go UPS? Can you estimate shipping to 63640? What
kind of warranty do you offer? Many of the repainted
fascias I have seen (on cars for sale) have already
started to peel at the edges where the paint meets the
black areas. Are you stripping the old paint or how
are you preparing them? What about the warping in the
fronts, are you putting in any reinforcement as part
of your refurbishment? This is something that I wanted
for my car, but I'd like to get something that will
last, preferably at least HALF as long as my originals
did...

Sonny V.

To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address: moderators@xxxx

To visit your group on the web, go to: