RE: [DML] Re: Owners vs. The Insurance Companies

When I had my '38 Buick schnoz wiped out several years ago, the tow truck driver asked where I wanted it droped off. I told him take it home (4 blocks away). No problem. Drive Stainless Robert VIN 6924

From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas@xxxx> Reply-To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [DML] Re: Owners vs. The Insurance Companies Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:01:46 -0000

As a follow up question to this subject, does anyone know why cars
are towed to the impound yard after an accident? Is this a
requirement, or simply a convenience for the parties involved?

The reason I ask is because if I were to be involved in a collision,
I would want to have first crack at recording damage to my car for
writing my own estimate, to challenge an insurance underwriter. So I
would prefer to have the car returned to my home. This is especially
important in Nevada, because if a vehicle's repair costs exceed 65%
or more of it's stated/agreed value (excluding paint,and structural
integrity), the car MUST be totalled by law, and CANNOT be re-
registered!

On the flip side, rather than having an insurance adjuster come out
to estimate costs on a car, is it possible to record damage, perform
the repairs myself (or by a licensed facility), and simply submit
reciepts to an insurance company when I file a claim with them?

I know these are questions that my insurance company *should* know
the answers to, but I wanted to get a general consensus from the
group here for a comparison.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"