Re: [DML] Ruined engine

jopalatinus@xxxx writes:
I uploaded a picture of the hole in the archieves under
ruined engine. I am guessing this is the case right? Is there a
way to fix such a hole other than complete engine replacement?, Or
am I just screwed. Is there hope for my car, can it be welded?

Joe P.
6808 17167
<<<<<
Joe,

I did the exact same thing up the point of drilling into the water jacket.
Once i drilled thru the old screw, i had to retap it larger and get a bolt
custom made at a machine shop. You should be able to get it welded closed and you
have to get a screw in there or else you will probably lose compression in
that back cylinder. i would be concerned about how good a job can be done with
the welding. no doubt it will be tight enough, but it may cause the coolant
to slow down in that part of the engine, causing hot spots. the screw goes
into the cylinder head, doesn't it? I'm sure someone on this list can supply you
with a used cylinder head w/o all the trimmings that you can replace with.
surely that is cheaper than buying a new engine unless you have a ton of miles
and other internal problems.

that is a really tough break though! when i had to drill my screw out, i sat
there for about half an hour lining my drill up and eyeballing it against the
other holes before i was confident enough to start drilling. the water
jacket is apparently quite thin in that spot, huh?

Good Luck!
Andy