Re: [DML] catalytic converter removal

I've given my opinion on this before, but since the topic comes up from time to time, I may as well share my two cents AGAIN ;-). I have driven several DeLoreans with their cats hollowed out. I can't say I feel any differencein performance with the cats hollowed out, and the car is no louder on theinside with the cat hollowed out. Martin Gutkowski tells me I need to drive those cars BEFORE and AFTER to feel the difference in power though. I can't say I've ever driven a DeLorean that was remarkably faster than another though, and I've driven my fair share of the cars. There are however two benefits to getting rid of the cat- 1) the engine bay and exhaust system are remarkably cooler 2) the exhaust note is more "masculine" and throatier sounding, especially at idle. It's somehow not louder though. The difference between the pressure of exhaust coming out of the exhaust pipes is also rather large, so I suppose hollowing out a cat will give you a freer flowing exhaust system, if not a few horses. The downside is that the DeLoreans I've driven without cats DO have stinky exhausts. It's not a lot of fun driving behind one of these cars... it made my eyes burn following Bill Robertson down to the SEDOC meet earlier this year.

I'm considering hollowing out my cat, and putting a Borla muffler on my carthough. I say Borla because they're stainless... Flowmaster is aluminum. Ifigure why not keep the whole system stainless if I'm going to change things out? Whenever I get around to doing this, I'll post the results to the list.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252
NC Plates "88 MPH"

Buy and sell stocks in NFL teams! Get paid dividends every time your team wins! Free limited-time trial at http://www.AllSportsMarket.com/Index.asp?Refer=delomail