Re: Euro Headlights

As was explained to me, the conversion looks totally great, but is
utterly useless. The problem is that the composite housing is
designed for mounting into a car with an engine compartment to access
them from the rear. To install, you of course need to remove the
sealed beams, and the light cans. To mount the units, I was told that
the owner of this car had to "glue" them in with non-shrinking
silicone. That way when he needed to replace a bulb, he could just
tear the housings out.

The real problem is that there is no way to aim the beams, since they
are not mounted into any cans. So you will end up driving with the
beams pointing up into the air, and you can't see the road that well.

If you're looking into a sealed beam conversion, I'd reccomend
somthing else. GM started using a composite headlamp set on their
cars that used the standard 4-beam system. I don't know the year
ranges, but I believe that you can find them on late 80's-early 90's
Cadillacs, and Chevy Caprices (the old boxy design, before the
switched to the aero-dynamic platform shared by the Impala).
Admittedly, it's a bastard design. To make a single sealed beam, it's
like GM just glued two standard sized sealed beam units togeter. So
the unit appears to actually require 4 capsule blubs! However, the
front lense is a seamless, single piece, and appears to have the
exact same dimentions as two regular sealed beam units.

Plus, if you used these units, you should only need to modify the
existing DeLorean and/or GM cans & bezels to mount/remove and aim
them just like stock.

http://www.layitlow.com/members/Rhidin2low/

On a personal note, these would be my preference for a conversion
based upon astetics. With the GM units, they would take up the exact
space that your current sealed beams use. But if you look at the
Maxima units in the picture, they appear to be quite slopply. Because
they're so far forward, they look to me like they're spilling out of
the facias. And in addition, I can't tell if the owner had to cut the
sides of the facia, and the grill insert to make it fit.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jon" <doki_pen@xxxx> wrote:
> Hey again everyone. I think one of the slickest mods I've seen to
the
> delorean are the Euro Headlights like on this page.
>
> http://www.entermyworld.com/custom/modica1x1.jpg
<SNIP>