[DML] Re: Prototype (and other early Deloreans)

[DML] Re: Prototype (and other early Deloreans)

Mark,

The point that I intended to make is that there are several
types of early Deloreans and they do not all fall into only
the two catagories you refer to - prototype or production.
There were plenty of pilot cars and "black" cars, all of
which were neither prototypes nor production cars. Pilot
and black cars used production parts except cosmetic parts.

While I agree that VIN..570 is a production car and was built
after VIN..560, meaning the car was sold with a DMC warranty,
I do not agree that VIN #20 should be considered a prototype.
VIN #20 was used primarily for emission testing and for some
limited road testing, but was not ever used as a show car.
All VIN #20 mechanical parts were the same production parts
that were used on all the cars up through VIN...560, which
was required for the emission certification.

Although VIN #20 did use a few pre-production cosmetic parts
(fascias) the entire drive-train used production parts.

VIN #20 was a pilot car built with production components.
The prototypes were built as "one-offs" or as "mock-ups".

Later,
Rich W.