RE: [DML] Automatic car washes- A bad idea?

RE: [DML] Automatic car washes- A bad idea?

Well, sisince we are still on this subject I would have to agree that HAND WASHING is the best solution. I know how it is though.... your filling up and the computerized pump offers that
fantastic car wash (sometimes free) and you look down at your spotted car and thing it
will be a good idea.
I have learned that no matter what you do you will end up with spots, streaks and smudges
on the car unless you do it by hand.
Stainless just does not act the same way that glass like clear coat does.

SO, my trick is to hand wash the car to rub all the real scum off.
I use wheel cleaner on the rims, and sometimes on the body if it is very dirty.
Then I use a soft sponge or very soft bristle brush and car wash soap and scrub it down.
THEN - (here's the trick) I drive down to the car wash and use the SPOT FREE RINSE.
All that a "spot free rinse" is, is nothing more that filtered water.
Like a giant Brita filter. That is why it is low pressure.
This eliminates most of the hard water stains.
Then I drive home or take a detour on the highway for a quick dry off.
NEXT STEP - I like to use the pre-cut Window Glass Cleaner Wipes by Amour All.
I clean the glass and all the body panels by hand using these.
They work great at getting all of the dirt and spots off.
Ok, here is the secret recipe.
Try to find some EAGLE WET & SHINE.
This is a clear coat sealer.
It is a clear liquid. Spray it on and wipe it with a terry cloth.
You will notice immediately that the surface become slick as whale poop.
You can run your fingers accross the metal with them grabbing or leaving streaks.
This helps elliminate the finger prints.
I lay it on thick around the door.

Now for the black stuff.
First clean off the louvers and all the "black" stuff.
Go get a little red bottle of "Mother Black Restore" and use a terry cloth to apply.
Becareful not to let it run onto the metal, it is greasy!
This will take all the white ashy look out of the louvers, engine cover, pontoons,
side vents and trim - looks like new instantly.
Re-apply this each time for long life.

*NOTE - NEVER PAINT your louvers, engine cover or side bits.
These are texturized plastic molded peices, it will never look the same if you paint them.

Now you have a shiney clean car and you will love the luster.
This will last you a few outings.
As you know after you have owned one of these cars and driven it on a daily basis like I do,
the "clean" lasts for a few hours and it is ruined.
There is no answer to this problem other than painting.
However, I have considered the concept of clear coating the metal.
I wonder how that would look?

SUMMERY:
* Amour All Glass Cleaner Wipes
* Eagle Wet & Shine