TOBY-TAB update

Hello List - I have some important information that I want to pass
along for all interested parties regarding a bent bolt that was found
at a tech session in the midwest last spring. The bolt was one of my
bolts, and had been installed by the owner. If the owner wishes to
add anything to this post, he is welcome to (he is a highly regarded
member of this list). The information that I was given was that the
installation was done with new "large" flat washers obtained from one
of the DeLorean vendors, and that he had put something close to
20,000 miles on the bolts, including hitting some rather significant
potholes. The car's owner noted that the new flat washers were worn
nearly half way through the thickness where the sleeves through the
trailing arm and bushings contact them. The bent bolt was eventually
sent back to me for evaluation. I sent it to the original
manufacturer in order to verify that there was nothing defective
about the bolt, or the materials used to make it. I received the
manufacturer's formal written report yesterday. The bolt was sent to
an independent testing laboratory, where it was tested to ultimate
tensile failure to verify material tensile properties, tested in
double shear to verify ultimate shear strength properties, and tested
for Rockwell hardness to see if there were any variations in hardness
in the bent area of the bolt. The bolt failed at a tensile load of
31,603 lbs, which translates to a tensile strength of 245,360 PSI.
The shear strength (using standard double shear tests) of the bolt
was 265,580 PSI, with a peak load at the breaking point of 45,489
lbf. To get the single shear stress values, you divide the double
shear stress values by two, giving you a shear strength value of
132,790 PSI in single shear. The minimum values for this grade of
inconel are 220,000 PSI (tensile) and 125,000 PSI (shear), so the
material was well above the minimums. The Rockwell hardness values
were all in the range of 47.15 - 47.97 Rc in the deformed area of the
bolt.

What the heck does all of this mean? The TOBY-TAB bolt is incredibly
strong, but even it can't survive in a loose joint where the washers
have worn significantly. The impact loads and general pounding that
the parts of the trailing arm connection take on rough roads and
during performance driving will eventually bend any bolt that is
installed there, even mine. The stock, or even "improved" bolts
don't stand a chance in this environment. Bottomline - The TOBY-TAB
is the best that can be had, but you must still ensure that all of
the parts in the joint, including washers and sleeves, must be hard
enough to resist wear, and the tightness of the joint must be
maintained through normal maintenance. I am looking into a new flat
washer material that I think will solve this wear problem, but the
cost may be nasty. I will keep the List apprised of any further
developments. As always, I welcome all of your input into this
issue. Thank you for your support of the launch of this new company.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
Winged1