Re: [DML] Painting Fascias

I just painted a whole bunch of them last weekend and they are ok to paint on
or off the car.

The paint you use is K36 as a primer from PPG and use 201 as the hardener.

The paint is DBU 33584 and the paint itself has a flexibilixer in it already
so the paint is no problem. It also goes on heavy and is not bad at filling a
lot of imperfections.

Usa a DRR 1160, 1170, or 1180 reducer/activator

The clear is where you need to be careful.

I use an Akso Reliance (spelling here) clear but have also use some of the
PPG clears.

The only clear I have not liked using is the Omni AU.

Delstar is nice but that is one of the more brittle clears and it will not
crack on you under normal use but can craze over time and thermal conditions,
although it is the easiest to put on and the fastest to cure. Adding a
flexibilzer to the clear does little in my opinion to the paint as it handles fine.
Also the flexibilizers toend ot gas out anyway so go with a clear that tends to
be flexible anyway. Just go wtih what you are comfotrable with.

You can paint on or off the car it really does not matter to me anyway.

Cost is roughly

$36 for a quart of primer
$19 for the 201
$27 for a pint of paint
$12 for the reducer
$18 for a quart of clear
$18 for the activator
$12 for a reducer if you so choose and I do.
$23 for flexibilizer that you don't need.

This will do up to 4 facias.

Prices are from my memory and may vary a bit but overall thats about it.

Its about $165 for materials or $40 per facia.
Add to that sanding materials, maskin and repair materials and you easily
have over $60 in each facia. It takes about 45 minutes your first time to mask a
facia. Once you get the hang you can get it down to about 15-20 minutes.

If you remove the facias add about 2 hours to the job plus an hour to
reinstall if you haven't broken any studs.

I have a whole series of photos in the DMCNEWS archive so you can see how to
do it.

Good luck.

Ken