Re: [DML] Headlight Conversion / Automatic Transmissions?

In a message dated 11/16/2003 6:19:33 PM Eastern Standard Time, DMCVegas@xxxx writes:

> As fot the tranny fluid, no, it should NEVER smell burned, and it
> should ALWAYS be red! DeLorean, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, or any other car, if
> the fluid is that color, the transmission is going to be in for some work down
> the road, and who knows how soon. Of corse this can also
> work in your favor,
> at the bargaining table, when haggling over price.

Personally, if I were buying a car that wasn't just for getting me thru a winter or something, i would never buy a car with transmission fluid that wasn't reasonably bright pink and didn't smell burnt. little do most people know, but if it is dark and smells burned, too bad, the damage has already been done - you already overheated the transmission (or have other deep problems)!! if it isn't bright pink with a sweet petroleum smell, the clutch packs are already wearing, the oil is losing viscosity, and a number of other inhibitors and modifiers are probably spent or inadequate. at my work, i see many people come in every day with truely burned transmission fluid, but they tell me the transmission shifts ok so it must still be good, right??????

the key here is preventative maintenence. if you are looking at a DeLorean with burned tranny fluid, who knows what other maintenence doesn't get done to it, the owner is probably ignorant or just doesn't care to spend the money to keep it running its very best. pay close attention to the condition of the brake/clutch fluid and the water hoses. these are typically overlooked by half-way-caring owners.

be careful changing transmission fluid on a car with burned fluid. sometimes the tranny has been driven for so long with crap fluid in it that the clutch packs get damaged to the point where it actually won't shift w/o that low viscosity burned stuff. when you put good clean fluid in it, it will slip a few weeks later until it won't shift anymore. whoops! maybe you SHOULD have done as the owner's manual recommends!! my shop won't do a flush if it is really bad for this reason. usually then we will only do pan drop services to fix leaks, change the filter, and put a little clean stuff in to get the tranny thru another couple of seasons. there are products out there that will improve the viscosity of tranny fluid to help eliminate slipping, but in my experience, it only lasts about a month before you need to put more in, so it really won't 'fix' it. how about a rebuild instead?

buyer beware!
Andy