Re: [DML] Headlight Conversion / Automatic Transmissions?

Re: [DML] Headlight Conversion / Automatic Transmissions?

In comparison to a Ford Taurus, I have no clue as to which one would shift
smother in a side by side comparison. But from my experience, the shifting is
pretty smooth. As fot the tranny fluid, no, it should NEVER smell burned, and it
should ALWAYS be red! DeLorean, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, or any other car, if
the fluid is that color, the transmission is going to be in for some work down
the road, and who knows how soon. Of corse this can also work in your favor,
at the bargaining table, when haggling over price.

*Technicly* you can convert any vehicle's drivetrain back and forth between
factory options. ie. Stick, auto, 2wd, 4wd, etc... but the question is, why would
you want to? It's NEVER an easy procedure as simple as swapping out pedal
boxes, and gearboxes. Quite a bit of wiring, control modules, and especially
in the case of the DeLorean, chassis mounts (shifter) have to be custom
modified/fabricated to do the job of recieving the new equipment that you're
swapping out.

If you're not sure if you want a manual or automatic transmission, that's cool.
Just take you time before you make a purchase to decide which one you
really want to buy.

The pedal box on the DeLorean is a bit tighter than you may be used to on
more common cars. I wear size 12 Lugz, and have no problem with driving a
stick. It is a bit tight, since if I don't watch what I'm doing, I can easily hit the
brake pedal with my right foot. But after a litte bit of time, you get so used to it,
you don't think about it any more. However, I do have some advice for you.
More than the closeness of the pedals, you're really going to feel the tightness
of the clutch. So I'd advise taking up walking as an exercise to strenghten your
calves if you plan on driving you car in stop-n-go traffic. Another thing would
be to install a dead pedal into the car it it doesn't already have one. That
pedal alone means the difference between comfort on a long road trip, or
irritation when running errands around town, because you're having to rest
your left foor on the ball of your heel.

Next up, if the pedals are really as uncomfortable as you said, pull the
floormat out! You'll notice a world of improvement there! Floormats are nice,
especially if you're going to constantly be entering into the car with wet/dirty
shoes. After all, you want to prevent staining of the carpet. Otherwise, DMC
did an excellent job of strategicly sewing into place rubber mats into the
factory carpet. Both where the heels of you shoes will be, and where the side
of your right foot will rub as you press the accelerator. After 52,000 miles, the
carpet is still more than intact, and the rubber shows minimal, if no wear. In
fact, it eats up the soles of my boots quicker. If all else fails, wear sneakers,
since the soles of boots will usually entend out past the hide.

Hitting the window switches can be a problem, but an easily rectified one.
Switch out the Drivers Side Window Switch with the one for the Rear
Defroster. That way, if you brush/rest your arm against the defroster switch,
the spring inside is far more resistant to the force of your arm.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"