Re: What to do about hole in frame...

The "standard" procedure is like on any car with a frame or unibody.
Remove the affected area and weld in a new piece of steel. You should
carefully inspect the area, rust is usually not confined to one small
specific area. If it is and the area is just the size of a half dollar
I would use a hole saw to remove it and the materiel ajacent to it so
I got back to good, full thickness steel. I would then use the hole
saw to drill out a piece of steel of the same thickness and use the
plug to weld into the frame. It is common for there to be rust in this
area so check the other side and all along the front of the frame by
the crumple zone. You could also remove the plate under the gas tank
for a more though inspection. Any loose epoxy paint indicates a
suspect area. After welding in the repair grind flush and prime and
repaint. You can sand the epoxy to feather in the repair and use
Krylon Smoke Grey which is a very good match. Inspect the are under
the master brake cylinder and the clutch master for loose epoxy paint
too. It is not difficult to weld the frame, it is only thin where the
rust made it so. It should be repaired correctly so as to keep dirt
and water out. It also gives you a chance to look inside for any other
damage. POR 15 only covers up the rot, it does nothing to restore it.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "supermattthehero" <supermatty@xxxx>