Re: Cup Holder - ADVANCED

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 04:18:50 -0000, videobob11 wrote:

> We have all seen that clip on cup holder for sale, ....
[snip]
> I have an idea but I am not sure if it will fly.
[snip]
> My idea is to remove the top of the console and ashtray,
> and custom build a new one. The idea is to either drill
> into the actual frame with a hole saw and recess the cup
> holder down into it with a matching base.

I wouldn't do this... Sawing into the backbone of the frame
is a BAD idea and just cutting into the fiberglass body under
the console would probably not give you enough clearance
AND it will let a LOT of road noise through into the cabin,
ask Martin G.!

Building one on top of the console wouldn't work either,
at least not for me; the holder would be in the way when
shifting gears.

I stumbled upon this one last night when browsing eBay for
some other stuff. I like the way it folds flat against the
side instead of dangling out from the shifter console...
<http://www.9xauto.com/images/pack1.jpg>
<http://www.9xauto.com/images/pack2.jpg>
<http://www.9xauto.com/images/pack3.jpg>

It's meant for Porsches, but IMHO with a little work the
bracket can easily be modified to fit a DeLorean, like next
to the stereo on the passenger side.

Can be bought from <http://www.9xauto.com> or currently on eBay:
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33675&ite
m=2441985870>