Re: Engine overhauling

The PRV is a very tough little engine. It is no surprise that the
dealer had no experience that deep inside. In fact for most dealers it
usually makes more sense to just change the whole engine than to try
to get all the parts and spend all the time it would take to do the
job. They already have the old one out and it would be the same work
to put in the new one or the rebuilt one. The labor is the same except
for the rebuild. And then there is the chance it won't work. It is
MUCH easier for them to just order a rebuilt engine. Most car dealers
have a rebuild/exchange program so you see the service centers doing
less and less repairs and more and more unit replacement. Most
dealerships do not rebuild transmissions, starters, alternators, etc.
The aim is car turn-over. The more cars you can do in less time the
more you can make. That car sitting in the shop for a week takes up
the space of 5 or more that could have been through the shop. In all
likelyhood you will be fine with the largest liner.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757