Re: [DML] Disputing the $25,0000 rule

In a message dated 11/5/03 6:18:09 PM Central Standard Time, Soma576@xxxx
writes:

> i suppose i would be below $25,000 if i only replaced parts that needed to
> be
> replaced, but i'd also have a car that isn't so reliable and i might fear
> going from ND to TN next spring..... and i wouldn't take home so many
> trophies
> from shows!
>
> to do it the way i do it, i would say $35,000 is more realistic.
>
> Andy

Actually, I got curious after i made this post and I actually ADDED UP all of
my receipts. So far, my total is $27,660.04. this includes car purchase
price, non-stock stereo upgrade (around $2500) as well as other goodies such as a
lowered suspension and stainless enhancements. total includes shipping for
parts (forgot to not include it until i was almost done) as well as about $1500
total labor costs for things such as dropping and cracking open my tranny and
recharging my A/C and performing alignments, spring installation). all other
work i did myself. total doesn't include interest i have accrued on credit
cards or inital car loan (will be paid off in march).

I have a short list of things i still have to do on my car which includes:
1. fanzilla, lockzilla remotes, and new tank sender.
2. drop suspension and blast and powdercoat it, replace all bushings.
3. replace frame (getting pretty rusty and i don't have the means to do a
frame off - i'd rather swap).
4. replace wheels with polished ones (mine are powdercoated and i don't like
it)
5. replace steering rack and steering universals
6. eliminate fascia eyebrows

i suspect by the time these are done i will be kissing the $35,000 range.
will it be worth it? i think so because i have personally disassembled and
refurbished or replaced almost every system in the car and wherever possible i
replaced parts with better than stock parts, as well as having all the upgrades i
wish to have to have a car that runs perfect, drives perfect, and looks
perfect enough to waltz into car shows and steal the light. like i said though, i
am pretty anal about EVERYTHING, and if you want just a regular driver that
looks respectable, i'm sure $20K-$25K will do it and keep it reliable enough.
BUT I am of the opinion that you won't be REALLY happy with it (and you'll
always be envious) until you fork up the $35K.

Andy