Re: HEI vs low voltage ignition

Hi Bill,

Part of your post is misleading, at least the way I read it and I
wanted to clarify something for those following this thread.

A coil dose not store a charge like a capacitor. A large capacitor
can store a charge (almost like a battery) and discharge even with
the device turned off days weeks even months later.

A coil does build up a magnetic field; it is when the power going to
the coil is turned off that the coil creates High voltage by virtue
of the magnetic field collapsing.
This happens because a coil will resist an instantaneous change in
current and when the current flow is stopped, the magnetic field
collapses and tries to maintain current flow.
The net result is that a voltage (a high voltage) is produced.

Once the power is turned off to the coil and the field has collapsed
(happens instantaneous for the purposes we are talking about, the
coil is harmless (unlike a capacitor).

Another thumb rule for sparking and arcing. 10,000 volts will jump
about 1 inch at normal atmospheric pressure. The one inch rule has
many variables and inside the combustion chamber of an engine has
very little to do with what happens outside at atmospheric pressure
but I thought it was an interesting bit of trivia.

One other thing and I'm not picking on you if it is a typo. When
you
refer to HT are you referring to HV for high voltage?
If not pleas let me know what HT is.

Regards,

Mike D.