Re: Ignition system failure = faulty coil

Re: Ignition system failure = faulty coil

Am a little confused how you're planning to fry ECU running exactly
same voltage through it as before... (Assuming coil itself is only
component changed).

Think you misunderstand purpose of ballast resistors. Have absolutely
nothing to do with coil. Are there for ignition module's benefit
alone. Tru high performance ignition systems run full voltage:

Direct quote from Pertronix instruction sheet in my hand right now
(their module):

"Many vehicles came equipped with ballast resistors or resistance
wires [latter is how my Lincolns do it BTW]. To achieve optimum
performance from this ignition system we recommend removal of these
components."

Yes, leaving resistors in place will cut down on ultimate coil output,
but you don't have much choice if retaining original ECU. Final HT
will still be worlds better than stock.

BTW: Bosch spiral core wires are EXACTLY what Pertronix recommends vs
solid core.

Never ceases to amaze me that same owners who criticize DMC cooling
fans, door locks, trailing arm bolts, etc, fail to acknowledge room
for even slightest improvement in ignition...

Bill Robertson