Hood compartment cleaning

Hi All,

I was swapping out my hood with a spare that I had when I decided it
was a good opportunity to clean the black fiberglass interior of the
"trunk". Anyway the finish of the majority of the black is very dull
and slightly rough but I noticed that in some spots it was smooth and
shiny, so I decided to get my dremel out, with a soft steel brush tip,
and try to buff a corner to see what would happen. Well the dull black
stuff comes off to reveal a shiny a smooth finish.

So my question is - what is the finish supposed to look like, is the
dull black just 20 years of grime or is it supposed to be like that?

Thanks
Max