at long last....

List,

i do believe it is time for celebration!
i can finally feel good and know that i have a 100% perfect running engine in
11596. my final problem was excessive cranking when cold. i followed the
cold start system and found that the valve only fired when applied voltage via
the CPR harness. i replaced the thermotime switch but that didn't help. i
wound up tracing the 12V supply to the ignition solenoid, where i promptly
stripped the stud holding the big power wires. oops. i replaced the solenoid and
had the starter overhauled while i was at it. put it all back together and
cranked her up - cranked, fired, and started in less than one second. it seems
the starter solenoid wan't giving proper power to the cold start valve (and who
knows what else).

now i finally have a car that idles correctly, starts correctly when hot and
cold, has correct CO, exhibits proper timing and vacuum, and revs as freely as
any car should. i must say, i am quite proud of finally getting to the
end!!!

thanks to everyone who has helped me get here - specifically Rob Grady and
Dave Swingle for help over the phone, Bill Robertson, Martin G., Tom for CO
adjustment help, John Hervey for a new idle microswitch, as well as everyone else
who has fielded questions and given me ideas over the last three years. We
did it!!!

Andy