RE: transmission upgrades

Andrew said "It's my understanding that the only real problem with the transmission and
higher powered engines is the input shafts. I believe Darryl Tinnerstet
got some inconel shafts machined to go with his supercharged Chevy
Delorean and has been pretty pleased with the results. (Correct me if I'm
misremembering here, Darryl.)"

Okay, close but not quite. The problem is the internally splined coupler that connects the 5-speed input shaft to the transmission mainshaft. It is very soft material, and not splined all the way around. It is so weak it may have been intended as a "fuse" to fail before doing more $eriou$ damage. I found that its failure point (with about 300 HP and gobs of torque) is accelerating briskly up an on-ramp in third on a Sunday night 100 miles from home.

I had an aerospace machine shop make a new coupler that was fully splined and then heat treated to bulletproof. It was not Inconel, only the Toby TABs were made from that. I doubt the shop would make any more as they don't like small one-off jobs, and finding anyone who could match the splines was quite a challenge.

Just wanted to clarify that discussion.

Darryl Tinnerstet
Specialty Automotive
McCleary, WA