Re: [DML] British or American?

Indeed, the Studebaker/Avanti was built in Canada for a time, but it is STILL "labeled" as an American car (for insurance purposes, etc.) I don't understand. Drive Stainless Robert VIN 6924

From: Louie Golden <louie@xxxx> Reply-To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: [DML] British or American? Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 07:59:53 -0700 (PDT)

The DeLorean is a dang mutt that defies labels... haha! As you know John DeLorean is American, but the car finally ended up being built in N. Ireland. Much of the cars development work was done by Lotus in England. The car uses a varient of Lotus' famed backbone chassis, and employs Lotus' VARI process for the cars underbodies. The car uses the PRV-6 engine and a Renault transaxle... both of these are French. I believe the stainless came from Germany... the list goes on. DeLorean Motor Company had offices in America (New York), and in N. Ireland. The company had totally Irish assembly line workers, and many of the high ranking people in the company were English and Irish as well. Many more were also American. So it's really hard to pin down just what to call the DeLorean car, and the company. The company started out in the US, but ended up building their cars in N. Ireland. They could have ended up building in Puerto Rico or even Detroit had luck been on their side. So the easiest way for me to classify the DeLorean is to say it was built in N. Ireland... I avoid labelling the company itself.

Louie Golden
VIN- Coming Again Soon

Pre-order the updated second edition of "DeLorean: Stainless Steel Illusion" now! Details <a href="http://www.stainless-steel-illusion.com"; target="_blank">here!</a>

To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address: moderators@xxxx