Re: [DML] Monster Garage Thoughts & more

Re: [DML] Monster Garage Thoughts & more

My comparison of the two cars holds water in my eyes. DeLoreans and Boss 302's are both limited run sports cars that were collectors right out of the box. No, you can't compare a stock Mustang to a DeLorean. There have literally been millions and millions of Mustangs sold. If there were millions of DeLoreans sold... then destroying DeLoreans or modifying them heavily wouldn't be an issue at all really. The reality is that there is a finite number of DeLoreans... and that number shrinks every year due to wrecks, fires, floods, theft, and neglect. They're still making Mustangs Steve.

All I'm saying is that for the DeLorean to ever be taken seriously in collector's eyes... we as owners and enthusiasts have to show that we take the cars seriously as classics. It's one thing to modify DeLoreans to your own personal needs by adding stereo equipment... or by making fully opening windows and such. It's another to hack a DeLorean up on national TV, stomp on the parts, and then end up running over the car out of anger with a tank. If we as owners don't treat our cars with respect... then who's going to? What kind of message is this putting out to potential new owners? This is perpetuating the notion that DeLoreans are dogs... and that even we as owners can't wait to smash up our crappy cars.

I know in reality many of these cars like Rich's have been "saved from the grave" by becoming modified. But if they can be brought back to life as a hovercraft or convertible, then my intelligence (or lack thereof) tells me they can be brought back to stock. I don't mean to single you out Rich... I've got no ill will towards you... you're just a public example of what I'm trying to say. I seriously applaud you for giving the DeLorean some PR. The idea that there's no such thing as bad publicity really doesn't apply to the DeLorean. The car already has serious issues as far as it's reputation, we really don't need to fuel the flame in this way.

Regardless of the fairly small demand for DeLoreans now, there will likely be a larger one in the future. You just don't see people doing this kind of stuff to Yenko Camaro's or Boss Mustangs. There will be a point when people will clamor to save very poor condition DeLoreans that normally would be tossed aside. All I'm saying is that we need to look to the future of the cars.

Louie Golden

--- Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean@xxxx> wrote:
Hang on here. It took me about 30 seconds on Google
to find a pic of a Mustang 4x4:

http://people.ucsc.edu/~kbrandt/pics/

It didn't appear to have been a Boss 302, but that
comparison just doesn't work. You're comparing a
special edition of the total run of Mustangs to the
entire run of Deloreans. A fair comparison would be
to compare the Boss 302 to say, the Gold Deloreans, or
the Factory turbos cars. I haven't seen anyone
cutting any of those up. Anyone with any intelligence
knows that often (not always), the cars that get
severly customized, were the victims of some sort of
damage and are now in their "second lives".

Steve
(builder of the HIGHLY MODIFIED, Project Delorean)
www.projectdelorean.com (update soon, I promise)

Pre-order the updated second edition of "DeLorean: Stainless Steel Illusion" now! Details <a href="http://www.stainless-steel-illusion.com"; target="_blank">here!</a>