Ground Testing of the Idle Speed Micro Switch

Ground Testing of the Idle Speed Micro Switch

The "condition" you described is the fact that the idle speed microswitch
does indeed open and close but when fully connected the black with green stripe
wire seems to always be grounded. This is the same in my case and I believe is
proper but may be confusing. If you look at the wiring diagram you'll notice
that the black with green wire is directly connected to a capacitor AND to
the vacuum solenoid. The other side of the vacuum solenoid is connected tofuse
number 1, along with the fuel pump, RPM relay, Idle Speed ECU and the
ignition ECU. These all provide a path to ground that makes you think the idle speed
switch is not working when you check continuity with the engine off. The
better way to test it is put a volt meter across the idle speed switch. With the
ignition switch ON but the engine not running (for safety) you should measure
0 volts at throttle closed, ie idle and about 12 volts when the throttle is
opened and the switch opens. You should also be able to hear the vacuum
solenoid click, ie switch when you open the throttle. Unplugging the vacuumsolenoid
allows you to check the switch using the continuity method because it
isolated the switch from those other circuits. Let me know.

Thank you,

Dave & 6530

ps Please take a look at my invention at www.tvpedaler.com and let me know
what you think.