A question for the "monster garage" types..

A question for the "monster garage" types..

As I have said before, I am working on a engine
conversion in my D.. I went the route of making a new
bell housing (instead of just an adapter plate).

I am at the point now where I have to do all the
clutch stuff... Figure out where to put the slave
cylinder and fork. The most likely place would be in
the same spot as the stock bell housing (a few degrees
off of directly vertical) because it will not
interfere with any of the bolts, or the differential
gear. However, on the PRV engine there is room for
the slave cylinder to overhang the block, on my engine
I do not have this space.

The most obvious solution to this problem is to find a
alternate slave cylinder. This is where I could use a
little advice! The cylinder is about 3.5 inches long,
but the piston only has about 1.5 inches of travel. I
assume if I mess with the 1.5 inches, I will have a
problem shifting because the clutch will be too
sensitive. I have taken all of the measurements to
keep the geometry of the fork, pivot, and cylinder the
same as on the stock bell... and hopefully that will
make it easier for one of you "monster garage" guys to
help out. I have about 2.5 inches from the "working"
side of the cylinder to the engine block (if I keep
the same geometry).

Anyone know of a cylinder I can buy that I can make
work with the stock geometry? I have not yet made the
cutout in the new bell for the fork to come through,
nor do I have any bracket yet to hold the cylinder.
At this point, I am very flexible about what I can
use... if such a cylinder does not exist, maybe the
geometry can be modified for an alternate cylinder?

I don't have a good grasp on the interaction of the
hydraulics and geometry of the clutch system to feel
confident that I am doing it right.... At least I am
smart enough to know when to ask for help!

Thanks,
Marc