Re: [DML] interior lamps (was diode location)

Re: [DML] interior lamps (was diode location)

I'm not too sure why this has come up before - the only diode I know of failing "regularly" (I've known 3 cars that have had this happen) is the dode that feeds the "lock doors" light.

To answer your question, an alternative is to replace the lightbulbs in your door lights with super-bright LEDs. They are available as plug-in replacements. Doing this has several advantages:

Half the current draw - you can leave your doors open for longer without draining the battery
Less stress on the diodes you are talking about that feed the power to the lights
LED's by their nature run a lot cooler than standard bulbs. (I have seen door light lenses that have melted)
They will last forever.

I have tried super-bright white LEDs in my door and they do create a different "colder" light when the lenses are put in place, but they are just as bright.

Best Wishes

Martin

Soma576@xxxx wrote:

1. a while back on the DML people were mentioning using heavy duty diodes. i am not too keen on electrical things, so why is a heavy duty diode going to better? why should i upgrade, and if i should, exactly what parts do i ask for at a radio shack or wherever.