Re: [DML] Loss of coolant

In a message dated 9/30/2003 12:36:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jeffrey.lawson@xxxx writes:

> What is an otterstat? The fans seem to be coming on.

The otterstat is the switch clipped into the coolant pipe at the bottom of the driver's side, which that hose you burst goes to. it has two wires coming off of it. it is a temperature-sensitive switch that tells the cooling fans when to come on, so they aren't running when they don't need to be. i think this happens around 180-190 degF? check the shop manual. btw, if the wires are pointing upward, loosen both of the clamps on each side and turn the pipe upside down so the switch is on the bottom. this will eliminate bubble build-up on the switch which can cause the fans to come on too late.

I am thinking
> about ordering Fanzilla. The info on their website make it sound
> like the best thing ever. Does it really do anything?

Fanzilla doesn't give you better cooling capacity or anything - it just makes the fans turn on sequentially instead of both at once, which is a major current draw which can cause melt-down of wiring.

> It there any particular brand of coolant you would
> recommend? Thanks
> again.

Any top-shelf green-colored antifreeze is good. make sure it is safe for aluminium engines and stay away from the orange Dex-cool antifreeze. mix it 50/50 with distilled water and change it every two years.

Andy