Re: Engine Mods

Greg

I think I took that picture - the car is (was) in the Chicago area
(like me). It's a powerdyne(?) blower (commonly used on Mustangs). I
have not seen this car now for a couple of years. It's a one-off
built by a guy name Glenn (sorry, the last name excapes me) at a
shop called "Glenn and Sons" in the northern chicago suburbs
(Skokie?). Nothing terribly special about it, it just blows thru the
intake. I think he had to move the alternator and the coolant
reservoir. There were no other internal mods made, the trickiest
part was making the bracket and making the serpentine belt drive
pulley setup work. I believe that they spent somewhere in the 4-5K
range to make it all work.

We put it on a dyno, it made about the same horsepower as a turbo car
but peaked out at a lower rpm. As with the turbo cars, it leaned out
horribly on the top end. Any of these solutions really exceed the
capacity of the stock fuel distributor/injectors. One other problem
he had was blowing the pressure pipe off the intake manifold. It did
really perk up the car though. The other funny part is that you could
take the belt off, put the stock air cleaner back on, and the car was
completely back to normal.

Dyno diagrams of this car are on the www.dmcnews.com site.

This looks nothing like the Houston engine. It looks like a stock
engine with a blower on it.

There are no easy answers.....

Dave

http://labwww.csv.cmich.edu/luke/auto/delorean/pics/superchargedprv.jp